The Wilson Centre in Alfred Gelder Street. Hull.
The Wilson Centre in Alfred Gelder Street, Hull.

Residents in need of help and support encouraged to get in touch

Hull City Council and Citizens Advice are urging residents to seek assistance if they are experiencing financial difficulties.

Residents experiencing any problems, including struggling to pay rent or council tax, have a housing issue or any other issues they feel the council could help with can go online or call 01482 300 300 to make an appointment and get some help at a customer service centre.

Free, independent advice is available from Hull Citizens Advice by calling the Adviceline free on 0800 144 88 48.  Limited face-to-face advice is available at customer service centres and the team are able to provide advice on a range of problems including employment, furlough, benefits, debt and money problems, housing and more.

Councillor Mike Thompson, Hull City Council’s portfolio holder for neighbourhoods and communities, said: “I would encourage residents to come forward with any problems and not leave it until they are at a crisis situation.

“It’s essential that people make an appointment to visit one of the customer service centres that are open for anyone who needs a face-to-face discussion with one of our advisers.”

Perspex screens have been installed at the centres to protect both staff and customers and the regular cleaning of equipment will take place. Numbers of customers permitted in the centres at one time will be limited.

Staff will be available to meet and greet residents and will be wearing face screens for safety reasons. Anyone visiting will be asked to use the hand sanitiser provided upon entering the buildings. Only one person per enquiry will be allowed to enter where possible.

Anyone displaying symptoms of coronavirus should not attend a customer service centre.

National Picture Theatre